Nabarun Banerjee started his career in the television industry, directing Maneka’s Ark, one of longest running wildlife and environment chat shows of the 1990s. He was in his early twenties when he started and directed some 120 episodes. He directed more television shows and tried different genres ranging from game shows to chat shows. His most successful work was in the corporate world when he made films for Pepsi, Nestle, Samsung, Dabur, Dolby, Yahoo after he started with Cineroed India.
In 2002, he directed and produced his first documentary which got award in California as the best film International category. A story based on real life incident which got many accolades from critics worldwide for its novelty in treatment. A treatment, which was never attempted by any film maker in India.
Nabarun made his directorial debut in 2007 with a reality cinema Ansh-part of society starring Kaushik Chakraborty, Dev and Komal Dey. It was a sensational film for its real life depiction of the biggest terrorist attack In India, which killed hundreds of common men in the city of Mumbai.
Nabarun continues to make films in the corporate world and is known for his novelty in film making with the defined resources.
His passion for this art was instilled in during his early childhood days, when he got introduced to stage theatre at an early age of 6years. He still continues to make his stage appearance with professional theatre groups from Delhi. Sharing his experience with the young generation, Nabarun is quite popular in many universities and colleges for his endless passionate lectures on the noble art of film making and theatre workshops. An avid traveler, he writes columns in various magazines and newspapers and shares his travel experiences of the virgin locales of the world.
Ansh- part of society - A Cinema
Eight exclusive stories from India for Xinjiang News, Singapore
Flickr.com- AV for ‘Hello India’ launch
Dabur India- Four AVs-Celebrating 125 years of Dabur
Dhak Dhak go campaign-Indian Hockey Federation-Ad Film for the Common wealth games of Hockey, 2010
Maggi from the Nestle stable –Ad films, launch AVs
Samsung HD Television-Ad film and Launch AV
Samay – A nerve wrecking real life story on child trafficking – The film was selected and screened at the California International Film Festival as the only Indian Film to the festival.
Congress(I)- Two Ad films for the Congress(I) party
Sun TV HD DTH- Launch AV
ACME-Three Corporate films for Delhi, Dubai and Barcelona exhibitions.
SAIL-Celebrating 50 years- A Corporate story
In Celebration of Life – A 60 mins. film on Cancer patients
Moulded with Love – A World Bank funded film on the Mentally Retarded Children. The film received the best film reward at the University of Kentucky, U.S.A., Specially screened at the International Conference on Mental Retardation, Tokyo.
Awards and nominations
- Four International Awards and Nominations
- Best Film, International Category, California International Film Festival
- Best Developmental Film at the University of Kentucky, USA
- Special Screening in 23 countries by the United Nations
- Best Indian film at the Tokyo International Film Festival
- Special Screening at the World Conference of Mentally Retarded, Tokyo
- ‘Time for reality bites’- The Economic Times
- ‘All said life triumphs’- The Pioneer
- ‘Moving Pictures without movement’- The Indian Express
- ‘Social Angle’- The Times of India
- ‘The film with a difference’- Midday
- Media review- CNN USA
- ‘It’s a must watch film’- NDTV profit
- ‘Brilliant depiction of a common man, as a victim of a terrorist attack’- PTI
- ‘Incredible story, just gripped me’- Newswire 18
- ‘A very different and fresh approach’- UNI Varta